Vice Principal News – 13 June 2019
Professional Practice (Student Free) Day – 14 June 2019
Students are not required to attend school on Friday 14 June as it is a designated Professional Practice Day. The professional practice days are part of the four year Victorian Government Schools Agreement (VGSA) 2017.
Congratulations to students for their efforts with their studies this semester!
In recent weeks, students have had lots of opportunities to demonstrate their learning. This looks different in different subjects and at different year levels. What is common is that at St Francis Xavier College we are focussed on offering a differentiated learning program and that as part of this we provide students with opportunities to display their learning at different achievement levels. As results are shared, students are encouraged to reflect upon their achievement. What is very important is a focus on growth!
Subject selection evenings
As was shared in my last online news article, the 2020 subject preference selection process is about to begin. Parent attendance at the following information evenings is requested:
- Year 8 and 9 2020 Parent Information Night (Berwick): 19 June, 7.00pm
- Year 8 and 9 2020 Parent Information Night (Officer): 24 June, 7.00pm
- Year 10 2020 Parent Information Night: 27 June, 7.00pm
- Year 11 and 12 2020 Parent Information Night: 18 July, 7.00pm
Curriculum Review Implementation
As we reflect upon what has been achieved in Semester One we should be proud of the learning opportunities which have been offered to students.
The new learning opportunities offered to students as a consequence of the curriculum review have been
- introduction of media arts and dance to Years 8 and 9
- introduction of VCAL to Year 10
- introduction of VCE Environmental Science and English Language
- introduction of VET subjects for VCAL students
- introduction of Arabic and Spanish (beginning at Year 7)
- careers education curriculum enhancement and additional staff
- remodelled mathematics pathways implementation
- introduction of the Year 8 City experience
- introduction of Year 8 and 9 Extension Academies
- introduction of a Year 7 Instrumental Music program
- introduction of an inquiry and project based learning program across Years 7 to 10
- introduction of a wellbeing lesson
- restructured timetables including more tuition time and increased frequency of lessons for the Beaconsfield Campus
- enhanced tuition time across the College
- more choice and flexibility for student learning programs
- more targeted learning enhancement programs
- more engaging Religious Education curriculum
- introduction of Hands on Learning at Officer Campus
Blessings for the next fortnight!